Tuesday, May 21, 2013

LUSH Lip Scrubs Review

A couple of weeks ago, winter weather arrived in Australia. While it was still autumn, the temperatures suddenly dropped, winds became cuttingly cold and my skin instantly became dry and flaky. Overnight, my lips became chapped and rough. Every dry bit stuck out and did their best to make my lipstick look terrible.

I tried to exfoliate my lips at home, first by using a toothbrush, then with some sugar and oil. Neither method worked, so it was time to call in the big guns that I'd heard so much about - LUSH lip scrubs. As there isn't  LUSH store near my home or work, I sent my boyfriend on an emergency shopping trip (much to his disgust and horror). He bought both the Bubblegum and Mint Juleps lip scrubs for me.


These lip scrubs are essentially a mixture of castor sugar and jojoba oil, with a bit of flavouring added. Bubblegum smells of sickly-sweet lollies, in a good way. If you don't have as much of a sweet tooth, you may prefer Mint Julips, which smells of after dinner mint chocolates. Both are mouth watering, and make me want to eat the whole pot with a spoon.


There is much more sugar than oil in these scrubs, so they have a fairly dry texture. The tiniest amount is enough to exfoliate my lips completely. I just dab my finger lightly into the pot, and rub it into my lips. Those who are more hygiene-conscious can use a cotton bud to apply instead. While you rub it in, the sugar either falls off or absorbs slightly into the oil. Afterwards, I lick it off and it tastes delicious. I then follow up with a thick layer of lip balm.

After using them daily for a few days, I noticed an immediate improvement in the condition of my lips. I still use them daily, but I vary the amount based on how dry my lips are feeling. Now my lips are smooth and kissable! My boyfriend certainly appreciates the emergency shopping trip to get these now.


Although this is a simple mixture that you can easily make yourself at home for a fraction of the cost, I believe the advantage of these LUSH scrubs is the perfect ratio of sugar to oil. The reason why my original attempt at creating a lip scrub failed was because I was using too much oil. These scrubs just make life easier. Because you only need the tiniest amount each time you use it, one pot will last for ages. You can see that even after daily use for a few weeks I've barely made a dent in them.

LUSH lip scrubs are $9.95 for a 25g pot, available from LUSH stores or online.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...